Monday, November 2, 2009

siting and 8' pole

I'm getting closer to having my weather station up-and-running. I selected an installation location over the weekend. We have a lot of trees and don't get a ton of sunlight, so it was a bit challenging to find a spot with (1) at least a few hours of direct sunlight (for the solar panel), (2) no rain obstructions directly overhead and limited rain shadow from trees, and (3) semi-accurate wind measurements (not too close to building/hill), (4) without being an eyesore. But, I think I've found a decent spot. There's no way I can follow all of wunderground's weather station siting recommendations, but I know my measurements aren't going to be airport quality!

I also figured out how I'm going to mount the station. I ended up in the fencing section of Home Depot and found an 8 foot, 1 5/8" diameter fence end post, which should let me position the station about 5 feet off the ground. I also bought a pole digger---it sounds like I just need to put the pole about 2 1/2 feet into the ground and make sure the ground is well compacted around it---not quite as challenging as installing a basketball hoop or fence.

No comments:

Post a Comment